The Aizome Gi
IN STOCK! SHIPS IN 24 HOURS
THE AIZOME GI IS INSPIRED BY THE JAPANESE INDIGO DYEING PROCESS WHICH USES THE FERMENTED LEAVES OF THE POLYGONUM TINCTORIUM PLANT TO CREATE A DEEP BLUE DYE. AIZOME DYED GARMENTS WERE USED BY THE SAMURAIS FOR ITS ANTISEPTIC PROPERTIES, HELPING HEALING WOUNDS AND REPELLING INSECTS.
EVEN THOUGH THE BLUE COLOR IN OUR GI REFLECTS A DARK AIZOME SHADE, OUR GI IS NOT MADE WITH AIZOME DYEING. THIS IS A TRIBUTE TO AN OLD TRADITION, WHICH TODAY IS KEPT BY ONLY A COUPLE OF FAMILIES IN JAPAN.
The side spikes are a common shibori pattern (Japanese dyeing technique that involves folding, twisting or bunching cloth and binding it, then dyeing it in indigo).
- 450 GSM Pearl Weave 100% Cotton Jacket
- 12 oz 100% cotton drill pants
- COOLMAX® fabric lining inside the jacket (shoulders and waist) and pants (gusset)
- Ripstop lapel
- High definition embroideries
- Brushed cotton jacket (soft/comfortable)
- Slim fit
- reinforced knee pads
- EVA foam collar with the perfect balance, not too hard (uncomfortable), not to soft (better grips for the opponent)
- lightweight elastic drawstring on the pants
The fabric is pre-shrunk and will have minimal shrinkage if washed on cold water and line dried in the shade. You can adjust the overall size up to 4% by doing a controlled shrink. Wash it in warm water and dry it gradually from line dry, warm and hot in the machine settings, until it shrinks to your desired fit. This is a reference for height/weight ranges for a new/unwashed gi:
5'3"-5'5" |130-150| = A0
5’5″-5’8″ |150-170| = A1
5’8″-6’0″ |170-190| = A2
5’8″-6’0″ |190-210| = A2W
6’0″-6’3″ |190-220| = A3
6’2″-6’5″ |210-250| = A4